New Year, New Schedule

Hybrid Schedule

There are a lot of opinions on the new hybrid schedule and, recently put onto the Wynne Schools website, hybrid calendar. The school board, superintendent, and other school officials are contemplating putting this hybrid schedule into practice for the school year of 2022-2023. 

What is a Hybrid Schedule?

You may be thinking, “What is a hybrid schedule?” A hybrid school schedule integrates retaining information and more time out of school to give students a better chance of success. In the summertime, students have a ten-week summer break, however, with this new schedule, we would only have seven. Don’t let this fact fool you. Although our summer break gets cut short, students and teachers have eleven extra days out of school. These days consist of random, but specifically selected days throughout the school year.

What are the assets?

There are so many different opinions on this idea. Many students and teachers think it’s a good idea and many don’t. Students and teachers could either benefit from the schedule or the schedule could constrain them. Mrs. Bethany Holt, a teacher at Wynne High School, says one of the positives is, breaks are good for teacher’s mental health. She says, “As a teacher, I think days for breaks will be beneficial for our mental and physical health. As a mother of a 3rd grader who doesn’t always like school, I think the breaks will help him recharge and refocus.” Another teacher, Mrs. Melanie Hixon, says, “I think that the new hybrid schedule will benefit both students and faculty by giving more breaks within the school year. This will help with both mental and physical health.” 

What are the Downsides?

Just like the positives, there are negatives as well. Mrs. Allison Webb, a 9th grade English teacher here, says, “One negative aspect of the new hybrid schedule is the need for parents to seek out additional childcare for younger children.” Mrs. Holt wonders how it will affect students’ extracurricular activities. She says, “The only negative that I can think of is that students who work during the summer months will have to take the school schedule into account. I’m also curious to see how this will affect summer athletics and band practices.” 

How will it impact everyone?

The impact of students and teachers is quite easily one of the most important concerns. Mrs. Hixon says, “I support the new calendar and think it’s going to have a positive impact on everyone.” Mrs. Webb has a similar opinion. She says, “I think it will positively impact myself and those around me. I will be able to spend more time with my family. My husband often has to work weekends, and this will allow me to spend more time with him.” There are two sides to every story. Whether for or against the hybrid schedule, there is always more to learn, especially when there are mixed opinions and all the facts are needed.