Covid-19’s Effects on Musical Theater

Janiyah

Emily Langston and Kris Guest run lines for their scene.

Janiyah Rucker, reporter

At Wynne High School even though Covid 19 disrupted almost every extra curricular activity, the Musical theater department did not let that stop them. The 2021 musical theater production  Annie emerged from the shadows. Yet, there are still a lot of challenges that come with doing a high school musical in a pandemic.

“I think a lot of students, especially newer ones, that are virtual due to COVID may not have auditioned or become involved in the play because they didn’t want to risk exposure,” says Kelsi Peterson, “I feel like that is also going to prevent some audience members from attending.” 

Peterson directs this years musical “Annie”.  Johnny Peoples musically directs and Kate Smith assists him as an  assistant musical director, helping the cast learn the music for the production. These three people have come together to make Annie the musical, in Wynne high school possible.

Jake Eldridge, featured in two musical productions prior and in his junior year says, ”This year’s cast is probably the biggest halt to our production because the lack of numbers. Our normal cast size is cut in half with this years production, so all of the characters–mains and ensemble–will be playing a whole lot of different roles.”

Peterson adds,”I do enjoy working on the play this year. It’s a huge learning curve for everyone involved and it’s gonna get hectic at points, but it’s pretty much the same process…’. Peterson’s involvement in 7 previous productions have made her a seasoned director.