Spring Festival

February 7th, Junior and Senior classes went to the “blue gym” for the spring festival. Walking into the gym you see the first booth explaining the spring festival and lantern festival.

“Spring festival is today, and today is the end, we call this the lantern festival.”, Chinese Teacher, Joanna Li, briefly explains. 

Adding her reasoning behind the celebration “We did this because we wanted the students to experience it, but we just invited the juniors and seniors because last year it got too crowded”. 

The second booth, a Chinese tattoo booth, where you have options of the rat, “This is the year of the rat.”, Li, explains the reasoning behind the option, also available, the American flag, Chinese flag, and a Chinese character “this is the symbol for luck”, Li, says.

The third booth featured a seminar on how to properly work chopsticks. “This is chopsticks, where they can practice to do chopsticks, and do a game”, Li explains. 

Chinese students, Chis Hare and Nathan Wizer, ran the booth.

“Honestly I enjoy teaching people to use chopsticks”, Hare says about working the booth.

Wizer adds his opinion saying,” It’s fun and if feels good when people actually get it after you try to teach them, plus the fact that people just love messing with chopsticks”.

The fourth booth explained the history of Chinese opera masks. Li explains the importance of the opera and booth saying, “the Chinese opera is our special opera, their mask represents their character’s personality, so they can color their face for different characteristics”. Students would paint paper mask prints in the same color as the example mask presented at the booth.

The fifth booth explained the Chinese sport shuttlecock, where students could play a game of shuttlecock in front of the booth. 

Next, a lantern-making booth, featuring supplies for a student to create a lantern. “Today is the lantern festival, so in China, there are a lot of lantern festivals… so here they can make a lantern”

At the next booth the paper cutting booth where students could cut paper designs. “This is our traditional paper cutting we use it as a decoration. They are going to use the Chinese character for spring”, Li says, explaining what the students will cut instead of the traditional design.

The final booth, Chinese student Rachel Zhang, taught students common Chinese phrases.

After students went through all the booths they would go to get food prepared by local restaurant Bins, “…we have food from Bins. They prepared the dumplings and the fried rice”, Li says.