Black History Month

Quentasia Isabell, Reporter

Black History Month begins on February 1  through February 29. This year’s theme for Black History Month at Wynne -“Black and Blooming”.

This month’s event will acknowledge and honor up-and-coming black leaders, visionaries, and change-makers who are blazing trails and leaving their mark on our country. Black History Month is known as an annual celebration of achievements by African Americans and a time for recognizing the central role of blacks in U.S history.                  

This event occurs in February because of the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln on February 12, 1809 and Frederick Douglass on February 14, 1818, both of which Black communities had celebrated together since the late 19th century. 

Jacobi Williams, a Junior, in Triple-A, says, “Triple to me means not only serving others, but enlightening others of our African  American cultural background”. Williams also adds “Many believe it’s just a club for black people, but that’s not even close to being the case, it’s a club of education, not only about African American history, but other history”.

This year, Triple-A will perform a Black History Month program on the 28th of February.

The Black History month programs, according to Dr. Smith didn’t occur because of Triple-A, but because of two students. “The first time I wanted to do a Black History program I was turned down. I was told to get with the history department which was something I didn’t want to do”.

In 1997 Smith took a group of students to a conference in Little Rock.

“Our students were inspired, and they came back wanting to do a Black History program”, according to Smith, “the Black History programs weren’t first done by Triple A but by those groups of students”. 

Smith also talks about how later in 1997, ”a student moved to Wynne for Little Rock, who’s name is Mario Latham and he came to me with a Wynne student, who’s name is Kasha Jones. Smith states,” I was minding my own business, not thinking about anything, not trying to start anything, I was just trying to feed students pizza”. She says, ” They came to me and basically wanted to start a club, because Mario and Kasha noticed a current factor was missing, and they didn’t know what they wanted to name the club, but they knew they wanted to start one.” Smith says, “I was very moved by that because it was refreshing that a student saw a need for something that they noticed the school was missing”.

She talks about it to her and students set up a meeting. In the meeting they talked about some of the things they wanted to be in the club and the principal  supported it. They then decided they wanted to name the club “African American Achievers”, but the principal didn’t want a club called African American Achievers. They later looked up other schools outside of Arkansas that had clubs.

Smith also states that, “it took from November 1997 through April 1998 for “African American Achievers”, to be recognized as a club at the Awards assembly”. 

Daylen Pounds, a sophomore also in Triple-A says, ” I view Triple-A as an eye changer. It’s like a part of a family. I learn more about my own history then I would anywhere else. I encourage everyone to join”.