Lady Jackets Break the Streak

By: Spencer Parker

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lady Jackets Break the Streak

Lisa Twyford

Lisa Twyford

Lisa Twyford

Jada Johnson, Reporter

November 12 against Cross County, the Lady Jackets made history after a 92 game losing streak. The Lady Jackets started the season off with a score of 58-38. In that game – Zahryia Baker 18 pts 7 Rebounds; Veronica Kerr 12 pts ,  17 rebounds ; Nazari Jenkins 11pts , 5 Rebounds;  Londyn McDaniel 5 pts ,4 steals; Derriona Spencer 4pts , 3 steals, helped lead the team to victory.   The Ladies continued their success mercy-ruling the Newport Greyhounds on November 19th at home.  The Lady Jackets have not mercy-ruled a team since 1996.

Head Coach Tim Hawkins says, “I am excited and the team is excited about our prospects for the year ahead”.  In practice Coach Hawkins teaches the girls defense philosophy, which means the most physical team on the floor each game.  Coach Hawkins likes to teach his team aggressiveness on defense and play more uptempo, if possible, on offense. Like other teams they have their strengths and weaknesses.  He says,”Our strength is we have a balanced team, skill wise and should be able to rotate fresh bodies in regularly each game.” We lack Seniors on the team I suppose that can be a weakness.  Junior, Nazari Jenkins says, “Strengths in practice, keeping a positive mindset trying to be a leader and getting my work done. A weakness is not being strong with the ball.” and Sophomore, Londyn McDaniel states,” Strengths are maintaining a strong mentality when drills get rough and keeping a positive attitude.”

Coach Hawkins and the Lady Jackets  look forward to the start of the season. They will gauge their success on whether they are getting better everyday. Finally, Coach Hawkins says, “he has been pleased by how the team has accepted him and allowed him to be part of their lives. He has also been encouraged by the staff and the whole student body into welcoming him to Wynne High School”.