• Mar 12, 8:49 amPlacing 3rd at Regional, WHS Quiz Bowl Advances to State

• Mar 12, 8:43 amMarch 28: Home Soccer v. Westside @ 5

• Mar 12, 8:41 amMarch 26: Home Soccer v. Brookland @ 5

• Feb 27, 7:58 amMarch Madness Canceled

Yellowjacket

Technology Takes The Wheel

Back to Article
Back to Article

Technology Takes The Wheel

Photo Taken and Submitted by: MaryKatherine Osborne

Brandon Goodwin, Writer

Technology remains one of America’s finest inventions, along with the motorized vehicle. People use technology for numerous things such as work, school, home, bills, communication, etc; however, they shouldn’t use technology when driving.

“The only reason I use my phone when driving is for GPS or answering phone calls. I use my Bluetooth and Siri to text and change music!” says Levia Taegtmeyer.

Consequently, technology takes away the lives of people when they use technology while driving. Even though technology has gotten easier to use while driving, it still can take a person’s life away in the blink of an eye. When a driver uses a phone or any other electronic device while driving, it’s identified as distracted driving. 

Annabelle Evans says, “I think there are many factors for distracted driving, but I believe texting and driving is one of the most destructive.”

Cell phone violations carry maximum fines of $250 for a first offense and $500 for a second or subsequent offense in Arkansas. Fines become doubled for violations that involve collisions or take place in a highway work zone; however, a cell phone violation won’t add demerit points to the motorist’s driving record.

Several devices do exist that can help with emergencies and needed communication on the road. The Bluetooth earpiece and cars with Bluetooth programmed in help answer phone calls on the road, though it may require drivers’ to take their hands off the wheel. Intimidating on the road, tech remains much more useful on the ground.

“I use technology for entertainment, science and research,” says Ethan Bailey.

Technology gets used more than anything in the world. Teachers use computers for grades, businesses advertise using billboards and online ads, and everyday civilians even pay bills through this tech. Though extremely useful, technology should only be used when people stay cautious of their surroundings.

About the Writer
Brandon Goodwin, Writer

Hi, I'm Brandon Goodwin. I am a sophomore at Wynne High School. I am a contributor to the WHS newspaper staff. I enjoy playing baseball on the weekends,...