• Mar 12, 8:49 amPlacing 3rd at Regional, WHS Quiz Bowl Advances to State

• Mar 12, 8:43 amMarch 28: Home Soccer v. Westside @ 5

• Mar 12, 8:41 amMarch 26: Home Soccer v. Brookland @ 5

• Feb 27, 7:58 amMarch Madness Canceled

Yellowjacket

Ain’t No Mountain High Enough: Wynne Band Crushes Yet Another Regional Assessment

Drum+Majors+Catherine+Arnold+and+Markell+Cox++with+the+Regional+Trophy+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Drum Majors Catherine Arnold and Markell Cox  with the Regional Trophy

Drum Majors Catherine Arnold and Markell Cox with the Regional Trophy

Candice Williams

Candice Williams

Candice Williams

Jarida Lily Hess, Editor

Wynne Band qualified for state this past Tuesday, October 16th, scoring all 1s across the board at the regional competition in Searcy. Scoring 1s deem you superior while scoring 2s deem you excellent. The band also participated in competition against other bands in Forrest City on Saturday, Oct. 20th, with State assessments taking place on Monday, Oct. 29th at War Memorial in Little Rock.

“I don’t feel nervous at all. I actually feel excited for Monday because we’ve added a lot of visuals and we’ve grown tremendously since our first run-through,” says sophomore Candice Williams, who plays bass synth in the front ensemble for marching band.

The Wynne Band have placed at State 3 years in a row, and with new band director Andrew Jones leading the herd, everyone is looking forward to placing yet again. Since their win of 3rd place out of 6 other bands in Forrest City, the band is rearing to go. Jones remarks “We practice every day,” sticking to the idiom that practice makes perfect. The band usually practices across from Daylight Donuts on the practice field, marching and counting plays, picture-by-picture.

The band played three songs at the competition in this order: In Caelum Fero (marching band arrangement), The Climb by Miley Cyrus, and Ain’t No Mountain High Enough, marching band arrangement.

The Climb is the band’s theme this year, focusing on the hardships that they have experienced, and how they have grown into themselves. Jones notes that “It’s a show based on them. It embodies their journey.”

Wynne Band has had a positive aspect on both the band members and Mr. Jones himself. Sophomore Bailey Pearson, flutist, says “Band is like a family to me. It also helps me get over my fear of crowds. When you’re waiting for the drum majors to start, staring at the people, you feel invincible.”

The theme of the band fits very well, as even when they get knocked down, they get back up again to start anew.