• November 5Friday, November 16th: Wynne VS Harrison

Yellowjacket

MAD Students Develop App for NCAC Conference

Jarida Lily Hess, Editor/Contributor

Three Mobile App Development students have officially developed an app for the upcoming National Career Academy Coalition (NCAC) conference after someone who had worked with them before approached them. Riley Clark, London Parsons, and Devon Sherman built the app to provide essential information the attendees will need, including the schedule, a map of the hotel, social media links, and registration. Though the app developers will not attend the conference, they have made sure to include the bulk of what people will need for the conference on November 5-7th, in Houston, Texas.

“They wanted an app, and somebody at the state department has worked with us before and they said “Hey, would you guys be interested in doing this? And I said “Sure,”‘ says MAD teacher Chris Davis.

The MAD class uses xCode sometimes to make apps for iOS, and they make their apps live for everyone to enjoy, including the NCAC app. 

Available on the Apple store only, the app will remain up for as long as they keep it on there. Davis looks forward to next year and the movement towards hopefully broadening the app spectrum to include a display for Android as well. Also invested in the marketing side of things for his students’ apps, Davis remarks “If you can’t sell or use what you are making, then there is no reason to make it.”

When interviewing the teens, the students dealt with various small struggles in the app; however, Sherman made sure to acknowledge that that’s a part of the production process: “Things happen. Things go wrong. It’s just part of it,” he said while moving to restore the app to its working form.

With the coming of a technological revolution, many more people invest their occupation bets in things like app development, social media directing, and the like. Furthermore, technology reveals a very confusing and difficult interior, and on this subject, Devon Sherman said “It’s going to seem impossible. It is hard, but you have to persevere.”