The Student News Site of Wynne High School
Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Planky: Robotics Team Saves The World, One Plastic Cup at A Time

Photo submitted by Candice Williams

Photo submitted by Candice Williams

Photo submitted by Candice Williams

Photo submitted by Candice Williams

Saturday, November 3rd, 14 teams competed in the BEST (Boosting Engineering Science & Technology) Robotics competition in Little Rock at UALR. During the seed rounds, Wynne High School made it to the top 5. They also made it to the Wild Card match to compete for the Semi-Finals.

“We almost made it, but we were knocked out by an equally talented team.” Mrs. Seawood says.

The theme for the competition this year presents Current Events. The contestants challenge themselves to design a robot that could help remove plastic waste from the ocean. The WHS team even designs a whale as the centerpiece for their booth at the competition. They constructed the whale and stuffed it with plastic to represent the effect plastic pollution has on ocean life. The students also based it off of pictures of beached whales they’ve seen.

The Robotics team uses many methods to build their robots including 3-D printing and engineer processing. Several team members remain in charge of booth design, as well as a notebook which contains the entire documentation process of the robot’s designs.

“Robotics is a super tight-knit and dedicated team overall,” junior president of robotics Megan Hill states.

Though robotics may seem all fun and games to some, it takes lots of hard work and dedication to really hit the robots home.

“The robot went into the semi-finals of the BEST robotics competition, against all odds. The robot arm was actually built on the road there, and it was fully functioning,” George Beaton declared. ”

The robot builder/drivers include sophomore team build leader George Beaton, Erika Faircloth, and Drake Melton. The booth/notebook designers include Megan Hill, and Ashley Heath.

Yellowjacket • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in